International Students

Foreign nationals are required to obtain a study permit for engaging in academic, professional, vocational, or other education or training that is more than 6 months in duration at a designated learning institution (DLI) in Canada.

Study Permit Application

Island Coastal Aviation’s DLI number is O110265135107 and can be found on the Designated Learning Institution list.

The study permit application process is explained extensively on the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website listing the required documentation including the Letter of Acceptance.

Please keep in mind that although we may have some experience in the field, we are not immigration consultants and cannot provide legal immigration advice. During the process, we will do our best to guide you through the process, however, if you feel that you require help with the study permit application, we strongly encourage you to contact a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant.

Please visit IRCC’s website page titled “Get the right documents” to learn about the required documentation for the study permit application, this includes the instructions from your local visa office which may vary based on the country you are applying from.

After Submitting Your Application

After submitting your application, it is a good idea to familiarize yourself with life in Canada and prepare for your new life in Canada. The following resources are great tools to do so.

Please notify the school once your application has been approved. Failure to do so may result in delays in program commencement upon your arrival.

Study Permit Refusals

If your study permit is refused, IRCC will provide a letter outlining the reasons for the refusal. Some common reasons for refusals include:

  • Not convincing the immigration officer that your main intent of coming to Canada is to study (called “purpose of study”)
    • This can be addressed by providing an explanation of how your program in Canada can assist you to advance your career with consideration of your background.
  • Not convincing the immigration officer that you will leave Canada after you complete your program
    • This can be tackled by providing proof of ties to your home country such as owned properties, lease contracts, or proof of employment.
  • Insufficient proof of financial support for yourself and any family members.
    • The base amount required is outlined on IRCC’s website. It is always better to show more than the base amount to convince the officer that you have enough financial means to support you and your family members who come to Canada during your studies.

If your study permit application is rejected, you can consider the reasons for the refusal and prepare a new application.

Always include a letter of explanation (“Additional Client Information” under “Optional Documents” in the Document Checklist) to help the visa officer understand your application. Use this letter to express:

  • Your reasons for studying – outline your study plan
  • Your means of financial support
  • Your plans for after you finish your program
    Visa officers can only assess what is in the application. They will not make assumptions. The applicant is responsible for providing all the necessary information.

After Arrival

Once you arrive in Canada, you must come to the school to register for your program’s courses. This must be done to comply with your responsibilities as a study permit holder in Canada. There are numerous occasions when the school must submit student status reports to IRCC.

International Students are responsible for their status while staying, studying, and working in Canada. As a study permit holder, there are several conditions you need to meet. If you don’t meet these conditions, you may lose your student status and study permit. You may also have to leave Canada.

Full-time International Students may work up to 20 hours per week while studying in Canada provided, they meet the eligibility criteria set by Immigration Canada. We may offer some job opportunities to students on campus based on availability.

After Graduation

Island Coastal Aviation graduates of Commercial Pilot Licence or Flight Instructor Rating programs may be eligible for a Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP). Students of the aforementioned programs who have been;


  • have completed a flight training course at a DLI training centre and now have a Canadian commercial pilot’s licence or
  • have or be in the process of getting an instructor’s rating and a job offer as a flight instructor from a DLI flight training centre.

For more information about the process or any other matter, please visit the Frequently Asked Questions page on our website.